It was announced on April 15 that the British Embassy’s vacation home on Lake Chuzenji, Oku-Nikko, Tochigi-ken will be transferred to Tochigi Prefecture. The prefecture announced to the Prefectural Assembly Agriculture and Forestry Committee that they are considering using the British villa in conjunction with the nearby Italian Embassy House Memorial Park.
According to the announcement, the house title will be transferred from the British Embassy to the prefecture. The embassy will then lease the land back at 400,000 Yen per year.
The house was constructed in 1896 by Sir Earnest Satow. It was used by the British Embassy until 2008. The wooden 2-storey structure is 495 sqm and is situated on 5,000 sqm of land.
Located nearby is the Italian Embassy House Memorial Park which was acquired by the prefecture in 1997, and the vacation homes of the French and Belgian Embassies.
Due to the combination of the English and Japanese construction, this property may be registered as a Cultural Property of Japan.
The Italian Embassy House Memorial Park is open to visitors.
Location: 2482, Chugushi, Nikko City, Tochigi Prefecture (50 min drive from Nikko Station)
Open: April 1st ~ November 30th
Open House: 9:00~16:00 and 9:00~17:00 in July & August
Free carparking available on site.
Entrance to the park is free. 100 Yen is charged to enter the main house.
Source: The Sankei Shimbun, April 15, 2010.
41 total views, 6 views today