According to Tokyo Kantei, the average monthly rent of a condominium apartment in greater Tokyo was 2,558 Yen/sqm in July, down 2.0% from the previous month but up 1.0% from last year. The average apartment size was 59.92 sqm and the average building age was 18.9 years.
The average rent in Tokyo’s 23-ku was 3,174 Yen/sqm, showing no change from the previous month and up 2.5% from last year. The average apartment size was 56.38 sqm and the average building age was 17.1 years.
Average monthly rent per sqm in July 2014:
- Tokyo 23-ku: 3,174 Yen (0.0% from June; +2.5% from July 2013)
- Yokohama City: 2,137 Yen (-3.0%; +0.3%)
- Saitama City: 1,800 Yen (+1.1%; -0.3%)
- Chiba City: 1,503 Yen (-2.1%; +1.8%)
- Osaka City: 2,127 Yen (-1.9%; +1.6%)
- Kobe City: 1,804 Yen (-2.0%; -2.6%)
- Nagoya City: 1,710 Yen (-1.0%; +4.2%)
*Data is based on the average advertised rent of family-type condominiums which may be higher than actual rent after negotiations. It does not include apartments less than 30 sqm in size, commercial or retail spaces.
Source: Tokyo Kantei, August 14, 2014.