In April, the resident population in Tokyo’s Chiyoda Ward exceeded 60,000 for the first time since 1981. It reached 60,297 as at April 1, 2017, up 2.1% from the previous year. Approximately 4.5% of the residents are foreigners.
In the first national census in 1920, the population was 220,000. The years following the Great Kanto earthquake of 1923 saw many residents move out to newly developed residential neighborhoods in suburban areas alongside railway lines. Air raids during WWII saw the majority of residential homes destroyed due to fire.
The population had been in decline since 1956, before reaching a record low of 39,264 in 1999. The decline in the residential population in the post-war years was due to the area becoming more of a commercial district.
The local government began to take action to make the area more appealing for residents by introducing child-rearing services and support for families. Newly constructed apartment buildings have also provided more residential options. According to the 2015 National Census, the population increased by 23.9% from 2010, making it the top district in Japan for population growth.
Chiyoda includes the Imperial Palace and surrounding radius. It includes the Marunouchi and Otemachi business districts on the eastern side, the National Diet and government districts to the south, and the historically wealthy and sought-after Bancho residential district on the west side of the palace. Approximately a fifth of the area’s size is taken up by the palace, Hibiya Park, National Museum of Modern Art and Yasukuni Shrine.
Source: Chiyoda City Press Release, April 3, 2017.
63 total views, 3 views today